Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development 2017
29-31 March, Bangkok
ESCAP will convene the fourth session of the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD 2017) from 29 to 31 March 2017, at the UN Conference Centre in Bangkok, Thailand.
APFSD 2017 is the principle regional forum on implementing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Asia and the Pacific. This year, ESCAP will engage senior leaders from national and local governments, civil society, business and the international community on the theme ‘Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing Asia-Pacific.’
Some 400 million people in Asia and the Pacific live in extreme income poverty and more than 1 in 4 people experience poverty in multiple dimensions – these include health, education and living standards. APFSD 2017 will discuss good practices and effective interventions to eradicate poverty and promote prosperity in the region.
The forum is expected to define a regional road map to support member States’ implementation of the 2030 Agenda over the next 15 years. The conclusions and recommendations of the forum will also inform the global debate at the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, which will be convened in New York in July 2017.
APFSD 2017 will be preceded by the Asia Pacific Civil Society Forum to be held from 26-28 April 2017, in Bangkok.
- Opening session: Welcome by Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Chair address: H.E. Mr Gamini Jayawickrema Perera, Chair of the Third APFSD, Minister of Sustainable Development and Wild Life, Sri Lanka
- Keynote: H.E. Mr. Bambang Permadi Soemantri Brodjonegoro, State Minister, National Development Planning, Indonesia
- Remarks: H.E. Mr. Nabeel Munir, Vice President of the Economic and Social Council
When: 29 - 31 March 2017
Where: UN Conference Centre, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok.
Watch: Proceedings will be broadcast at https://www.youtube.com/user/unescap
Wednesday, 29 March
- 9:00-9:40: Opening of APFSD 2017.
- 9:50-10:05: Photo opportunity with speakers and delegates.
- 12:00-12:15: Launch of the Asia-Pacific SDG Partnership and joint ESCAP/UNDP/ADB reports - ‘Asia-Pacific SDGs Outlook’ and ‘Eradicating Poverty and Promoting Prosperity in a Changing Asia-Pacific.’
Thursday 30 March
- 9:00-10:45: High-level panel discussion - National progress and achievements on the 2030 Agenda.
- 10:45-12:30: High-level panel discussion - “Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women and Girls: A pathway to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals”
- 10:45-12:00: Mayor’s panel – ‘Experiences and lessons on localizing SDGs.
Friday 31 March
- 9:00-9:30 Side event: High-level brainstorming dialogue – ‘Enhancing Complementarities between the ASEAN Community Vision 2025 and the 2030 Agenda.’
- 10:30-12:00: Joint ESCAP/UNESCO launch of ‘World Water Development Report 2017.’
For media registration, please provide us with the following information (First Name; Last Name; Nationality; ID/Passport Number; Email Address; Mobile No; Organization/New Agency, as well as the latest electronic copy of a passport-sized photo for printing the badge in advance) and please email to email@example.com.