Asia-Pacific Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration
6 to 8 November 2017, Bangkok
ESCAP will convene the Asia-Pacific Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in Bangkok from 6 to 8 November, in partnership with IOM, as well as ILO, UNDP UNFPA, UNHCR, UNODC and UN Women.
The high-level meeting will bring together policymakers, civil society, academia and experts to decide on actions that will improve the management of international migration. The outcomes will also provide regional input into the Global Compact - the first intergovernmental document developed under the auspices of the UN, to cover all dimensions of international migration in a comprehensive manner.
What: Asia-Pacific Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration
- Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCAP
- Ms. Louise Arbour, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for International Migration
- Mr. William Swing, Director-General of IOM
- H.E. Abdul Latheef Mohamed, Minister of State for Economic Development, Republic of the Maldives
- H.E. Dilli Bahadur Chaudhari, State Minister, Ministry of Labour and Employment, Nepal
- H.E. Juan Jose Camacho, Permanent Representative of Mexico to the United Nations in New York
Where: UN Conference Centre, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok, Thailand
When: 6-8 November 2017
Why: Identify key perspectives on international migration and recommendations which will serve as an intergovernmental Asia-Pacific input into the preparatory process of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration.
Note to Editors: You or your representatives are cordially invited to attend.
Monday, 6 November 2017
- Opening ceremony (09:00 – 10:00)
- High-level Panel: Towards the global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration (10:30-12:00)
For media registration, please provide the following information (First Name; Last Name; Nationality; ID/Passport Number; Email Address; Mobile No; Organization/New Agency, as well as the latest electronic copy of a passport-sized photo for the badge) and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the event page for more information: http://bit.ly/2A0yFFi.
For media enquiries please contact:
Ms. Katie Elles, Public Information Officer, Strategic Communications and Advocacy Section, ESCAP, M: (66) 9481 525 36 / E: email@example.com